First, I displayed the different ingredients and utensils.
The first goal is to make sure all the students know what they are going to use,
the second goal is to teach them the name of these items in English.
The agriculture teacher, Ms. Rotha, is there to help.
A great challenge: tossing the crepes.
Today, our delicious French pancakes are served with some condensed
milk
and colorful chocolate flakes.
Reflection and conclusion:
-
This session, held on a Saturday afternoon was
only a trail before the actual lesson next Monday.
-
The students involved were volunteers, present
at the center during that afternoon.
-
One part of the experiment was supposed to be a “flambĂ©”
operation. It happened to be a complete disaster: I tried to use palm sugar
instead of white sugar in order to make the caramel sauce with a Cambodian touch.
Unfortunately, this sugar burnt very quickly!
-
On the other hand, the use of Palm Sugar in the
crepes’ batter is good.
-
Instead of the butter used in the French recipe I
used coconut oil: the result is absolutely fantastic, this natural oil made in
Chakatien's Peace village gives a beautiful flavor to the crepes. I also used it to oil in
the frying pan.
-
Presence of the Khmer teacher: very positive to
provide some materials and missing ingredients.
-
Attitude of the students: very positive. I tried
to create a “No fear of Making Mistakes Zone”.
-
Unfortunately, some students pretended to be
busy to do something else in order not to try the crepes cooking and tossing.
Some confidence work has to be done here.
-
English: little use of English. Nevertheless,
the full lesson on Monday involves a technical vocabulary lesson which will allow
students to retain the words and to prepare the actual practice at the same
time.
-
Future experiment: Try to get some coconut flour
to uses it in the batter.
No comments:
Post a Comment