Sunday, March 21, 2021

All schools are closing again...

 I react to a Khmer Times Article: 

Thank you dear Khmer Times. I wish to react to the remarks of some parents compiled in this article. 

 1) Even though it is true that the pandemic is going to last for some time, it is unfair to blame the Ministry of Health for that. I even believe they are doing a great job trying to contain the spread of the virus. The closure of all the schools is another way of doing that. 

2) “Teachers having an easy time” is just so inappropriate! I understand that parents may feel that because they have their kids at home, and they are not spending 6/8 hours a day with the teacher on the screen. They should realize that, on the contrary, the lesser the teacher is actually asking for the attention of kids directly, the better! Online teaching implies a higher level of involvement of students, though research and personal work and that is a real difficulty because nobody is used to that way of doing. 

3) “Teachers are paying scant attention to student’s performance or improvement”. Teaching/ learning online is so new for both teachers and students! Teachers are not solely responsible for performance and improvement in the situation we are in due to the pandemic. Students and parents are more than ever part of the educative community! Nevertheless, some teachers may have to change their way of teaching to adapt to the new online context and perpetuate the changes towards a new/better/more 21st century way of teaching when the schools reopen… In order to be ready for the next closure! 

4) I understand that parents complain about the fees, mainly because they don’t get the “daycare” function of the school they used to. Nevertheless, they should realize that, apart from lower electricity bills, the expenses of the schools remain the same but I must admit I am pretty unaware of the schools’ finances and accountings. 

Last but not least, I think that the actual challenges in education are a great opportunity to reflect on our practices, whether we are teachers, students, parents, or education officials… Who knows… Something great may come out of that! By the way, I would be great if the Khmer Times could write an article about teachers teaching online.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50827832/all-public-and-private-educational-institutions-in-cambodia-suspended/?fbclid=IwAR1bFhgB_LpcxJO5fhBV_kXSH8_ko9VOXZ3NIWNX3Uk4KNrRqWCkt9HdVyo

No comments:

Post a Comment