Monday, March 9, 2020

How teaching directly affects students









I was observing a teacher this morning. Four of his students, in tourism year 2, were doing a presentation. It was a good way to see what their teacher could bring out of them!

To be honest, I was quite disappointed by the result.

The students produced the same low level work as their teacher. Bad English, at least half of the time speaking Khmer, translating everything, not a single visual information like a photo or a video, and 6 students sleeping in the class, which represent 25% of the total of 24 students!

In that group, 2 students are rather strong, 2 others are weaker. All 4 of them did a bad job in English today. The teacher is responsible of that. 

That definitely confirms the fact that it is going to take time to improve.

Nevertheless, these students have a high potential. English is important for their future career. The teacher most definitely needs to be trained to get much better results.

That’s my job anyway! (To train the teachers!)

Again, I don’t blame the teacher for this disaster: he just does what he has been taught so far!
Nevertheless, knowing all the teaching materials, talks, pieces of advice, lesson plans, etc., available on Internet, I wonder why, the teachers seems to ignore all of the recent evolutions in teaching.


No comments:

Post a Comment